This year, REC blogs will focus on how to increase response rates. In the past, we explored Data Collection Methods and Collecting Quality Data, but how do you make sure you are capturing data that truly reflects the experiences of the people you serve? This blog series will describe how to reach your target audience, as well as how to collect data that is both high-quality and representative so that it may better support your organization or stakeholders in making decisions.
What is Response Rate and Why is it Important?
SurveyMonkey, a highly used survey tool, defines Survey Response Rate as, “the number of people who completed your survey divided by the number of people who make up the total sample group.” A low response rate means you may not be able to trust your findings due to errors and unintentionally mispresenting your target audience. Ultimately, your organization wants the most reliable results, and a higher response rate will support that. Focusing on your target audience and exploring how you will reach them and follow up with them are important steps in obtaining a higher response rate.
Upcoming Blogs for 2024
Given our focus for this year, REC will be posting blogs on the following topics:
- Understanding your target audience, their demographics, and how your organization can reach them are important factors that can increase response rates.
Data Collection Dos and Don’ts (Part 1, Part 2)
- How will you reach your target audience? What recruitment methods will boost your organization’s response rate? REC will walk through tips for engaging your target audience and what to avoid to increase response rates.
Survey Biases Exposed: How to Spot and Prevent Them
- How do you ensure that your data is good? This blog will present different survey biases and describe how your organization can prevent them.
Create a Follow-Up System
- After sending your first email, what is the plan for follow-up with participants? How will you manage who has responded and who has not? REC will describe options for managing responses and implementing effective follow-up strategies to increase response rates.
Target Audience in Action: Awesome Results from a Quality Study
- Greater Albuquerque Habitat for Humanity completed an Impact Study with REC using multiple recruitment efforts and collection methods to increase their sample size. How did these efforts support their results?
Still have questions about increasing response rates?
Reach out to REC! We can help your organization implement effective and feasible ways to increase your response rates!
Shtivelband, A. (2021). Collecting Quality Data – 4 Questions. Research Evaluation Consulting LLC. Link: https://researchevaluationconsulting.com/collecting-quality-data-4-questions/
Shtivelband, A. (2017). 4 Data Collection Methods. Research Evaluation Consulting LLC. Link: https://researchevaluationconsulting.com/4-data-collection-methods/
SurveyMonkey. What is the Difference between a Response Rate and a Completion Rate? SurveyMonkey. Link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/mp/what-is-the-difference-between-a-response-rate-and-a-completion-rate/
Carpenter, A. (2023). How to Increase Survey Response Rates. Qualtrics. Link: https://www.qualtrics.com/uk/experience-management/research/improve-survey-response/